Force Union Forum

Debate: Union General Election, July 2022

Offline Sumeka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
on: July 05, 2022, 12:12:08 pm
Brief Overview

Debate ends July 8, at 12:00PM EST.

The Debate period is intended to be a time in which citizens can assess the competence of candidates running for office and make an informed decision in the voting period that follows. All citizens may ask questions to the candidates and while the candidates are not legally bound to answer these questions, it is highly encouraged. Candidates are however legally bound to answer all questions asked of them by the Founder or Speaker.

Candidates for Prime Minister:

Sir Salibaic/The Scottish Republic - Force/Heart - Federalist

Candidates for the House of Representatives:

Sir The Scottish Republic - Heart - Federalist Party *
Empire of Elysium - Heart - Independent
Krovx Belgium - RGBN - Independent
Sir Suter - RGBN - Federalist Party *
Gumeus - Prudentia - Independent
Non-Violence - Prudentia - Independent
P Moon - Prudentia - Independent
Battadia in TNK - The New Kingdom - Independent
West Kronisia - CAD - Union People's Party

*Candidates on both Union list and constituency are be marked by their primary constituency rather than as Union-wide Reps

Relevant Law

1. As a candidate, you are required to answer all questions asked to you by the Founder (Renegalle) and the Speaker of the House (Sumeka) during this Debate or you will be automatically disqualified (§B.4.1).

Required: Questions for all Prime Minister Candidates

1. What makes you the best candidate for Prime Minister? What do you bring to the office that your opponent does not and why do you think you are better positioned to succeed in whatever you undertake?

2. How do you plan to address the current recruitment issues facing not just the capital but the Union as a whole, what steps will you take and how will this be brought about?

3. Who would you appoint to your ideal Cabinet (ex-members, people who would be ineligible, and people not necessarily willing to serve can be included)? Why would you choose these people and what specific things would they bring to each office that you consider being most important?

4. If elected, how do you plan (if at all) to change the structure of the existing Ministries? Would you consider abolishing, creating, or merging any of them? Why?

5. What will be on your legislative agenda? What reforms would you like to make to existing laws and how will you lobby the House to pass these reforms?

6. What plans do you have to tackle inactivity in the World Assembly, what will you do to address this issue? Please provide a detailed plan.

7. The Union in recent history has had an image problem when it comes to foreign affairs, how do you plan to address this?

8. Do you plan on restoring the Union Armed Forces? If so, what do you plan for it?

9. As Prime Minister of the Union, it is your job to ensure the voices of every state and territory is heard and not just the capital. What plans do you have to address the lack of inter-union participation?

10. The Union Roleplay has suffered from serious inactivity issues. What are your plans to address this?

11. The Union has suffered from a lack of voter turnout in recent months. What are your plans to address this?

12. Any other comments you would like to add?

Required: Questions for all House Representative Candidates

1. Which House Bills do you plan to pass and/or repeal? Why?

2. In what ways should the Constitution be amended, if at all? Explain how the changes would improve the current system of governance.

3. What qualifies you to serve in the House? What makes this qualifying?

4. Do you think any changes should be made to existing House Procedures? If so, what changes should be made and why?

5. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate?

6. How do you plan to ensure the voices of your constituents are heard while in office?

7. How do you feel about the influence parties have on the House and electoral process, and should it be more or less? Explain your answer fully.

8. The House of Representatives is the sole legal body with the ability to remove a Prime Minister from office. Under what circumstances would you support the removal of one and what constitutes 'going too far'? Cite specific legal passages if necessary and ensure that your answer is sufficiently detailed.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 03:01:02 am by Renegalle »

Offline Sir Salibaic

• Global Moderator
  • Epic Hoot
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 09:37:40 am
1. What makes you the best candidate for Prime Minister? What do you bring to the office that your opponent does not and why do you think you are better positioned to succeed in whatever you undertake?

As the sole candidate in this election, I am the only one committed to serving the Union and defending its interests. I am the longest-serving and most experienced Prime Minister ever before in our history. I have been a member of this community for four years and I am dedicated to this great place. Despite differences with many and the landscape changing all the time, I have remained the Union's and my Founder's most loyal servant.

2. How do you plan to address the current recruitment issues facing not just the capital but the Union as a whole, what steps will you take and how will this be brought about?

I would like to introduce radical reform through the already existing Ministry of Immigration by establishing greater centralisation and proper activity that has been lacking. We need to be tough and hard on this point and only through dedicated leadership and recruitment can we turn the tide.

3. Who would you appoint to your ideal Cabinet (ex-members, people who would be ineligible, and people not necessarily willing to serve can be included)? Why would you choose these people and what specific things would they bring to each office that you consider being most important?

I would like to shake up several ministries and overhaul the whole system as part of a wider constitutional change. Reform will be key and more will be published later.

4. If elected, how do you plan (if at all) to change the structure of the existing Ministries? Would you consider abolishing, creating, or merging any of them? Why?

I would like to review the duties of each one and replace them with more efficient structures. We need radical reform for activity and I will deliver that.

5. What will be on your legislative agenda? What reforms would you like to make to existing laws and how will you lobby the House to pass these reforms?

Alongside the Founder, I will be formally proposing a brand new constitution that will seek to radically reform government to be more efficient and transparent.

6. What plans do you have to tackle inactivity in the World Assembly, what will you do to address this issue? Please provide a detailed plan.

I would like to introduce engagement by creating incentives to be a member of the world assembly. We could do this in many ways such as a card program or creating requirements for the civil service. All are important for the overall functioning of government.

7. The Union in recent history has had an image problem when it comes to foreign affairs, how do you plan to address this?

One of the biggest steps is to isolate the issues foreign regions are picking upon preventing us from growth within the sector. I would isolate the Founder from all FA happenings as well as place pressure for OOC Moderation Reform. By targeting both from an IC and OOC perspective we can combat the criticism. I would follow this up with a large PR campaign to promote our Union abroad.

8. Do you plan on restoring the Union Armed Forces? If so, what do you plan for it?

I would bring it back as a form of reserve defence. I think the overthrowing of our delegates previously shows a need for this and I also believe it could be a great boon to activity. We must always consider all possible options though as committing to a path too early may result in a large-scale mess.

9. As Prime Minister of the Union, it is your job to ensure the voices of every state and territory is heard and not just the capital. What plans do you have to address the lack of inter-union participation?

I'd be happy to set up a joint ministerial council to talk through matters.

10. The Union Roleplay has suffered from serious inactivity issues. What are your plans to address this?

I would like to bring in new staff that are willing to help out and engage. I feel one of the biggest reasons we suffer is that we lack constant and consistent updates preventing new players from joining and older players from taking part. As well a big problem is that a lot of the way the RP functions can feel lacklustre and we should bring in new stuff as well reform current systems to establish a more active system. Our Roleplay used to be a massive reason for people to join, we should return that and expand upon the success of the past.

11. The Union has suffered from a lack of voter turnout in recent months. What are your plans to address this?

Just by campaigning and getting people political involved. We need to not be afraid to challenge the status quo nor should we be afraid to challenge those who are incompetent and unable to govern. Every voice, every vote, and every citizen is important to the political system and we should not be beholden to the political machine that breeds inactivity. We need to reform the party system and create reform of the electoral system to encourage those disenchanted by the system to vote.

12. Any other comments you would like to add?

I would like to say that I stand for every citizen across the Union who wants a future for our great Union. I stand for our people, our flag, our traditions, and most of all I stand here to ensure that carry on. We no matter the struggle always survive even in the darkest of times. We can do that again and we shall. I will lead us to our next golden age no matter the toll, the pain, and suffering we must endure to make it. We will stand for every citizen and bring us forward. We are stronger united together, not split apart into endless inactivity.

I have a few in mind but I will work to see what is required at the time.

2. In what ways should the Constitution be amended, if at all? Explain how the changes would improve the current system of governance.

It needs to be replaced entirely and a new more functional document put in place to ensure this.

I have served continually in the House since March 2021 and I am the best person to represent my people in my home of Heart in my belief.

4. Do you think any changes should be made to existing House Procedures? If so, what changes should be made and why?

Not of current, no.

5. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate?

No. I will consider future candidates as I see them stand and vote for who I feel is most competent

6. How do you plan to ensure the voices of your constituents are heard while in office?

I will always keep my metaphorical door to all. I am always happy to hear people tell me their concerns.

7. How do you feel about the influence parties have on the House and electoral process, and should it be more or less? Explain your answer fully.

I am fine with the current system. I think there could be room for improvement but I often feel the system is fine. The only thing I would want is for other parties not just the federalists to stand on the list.

8. The House of Representatives is the sole legal body with the ability to remove a Prime Minister from office. Under what circumstances would you support the removal of one and what constitutes 'going too far'? Cite specific legal passages if necessary and ensure that your answer is sufficiently detailed.

I would remove a PM if I felt they were a danger to the Union

Offline Wax Krovx Belgium

• Citizens
  • Belgian Lives Matter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 11:51:32 am
I do not have any bills I would like to pass, create, or repeal at current time.

I cannot think of any ways it should be amended at the moment.

I have served in The House before. I know the procedures.

I do not think any changes are needed.

I do not know at current whom would make a good candidate for Speaker, whether it be me or another person.

Submit any and all proposals from them.

I feel that as long as there are parties, they will hold at least some influence on the house and electoral process. I also feel that if they had less influence they would fight for more, and if they had more influence it would be chaos, therefore I think they have just enough power currently.

If the Prime Minister was to commit either, treason, nonfeasance, malfeasance, perjury, or voting fraud, I feel I would support their impeachment for in my opinion, I feel that if even just one of these acts were committed, The Union would suffer greatly.

Offline Empire of Elysium

• Citizens
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 01:10:56 pm
1. Which House Bills do you plan to pass and/or repeal? Why?   The Provisional Voting Rights Act, it infringes on Heart rights.

2. In what ways should the Constitution be amended, if at all? Explain how the changes would improve the current system of governance. I am fine with the constitution as it is

3. What qualifies you to serve in the House? What makes this qualifying?  I'm a Prime Minister, good sir. It is qualifying because experience.

4. Do you think any changes should be made to existing House Procedures? If so, what changes should be made and why? No, I'm an institutionalist

5. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate? It depends on who is running. If Salibaic, New Glaceon, or West Kronisia stand I will endorse them.

6. How do you plan to ensure the voices of your constituents are heard while in office? I will ask Sali how he feels about votes as he is our number one hearter.

7. How do you feel about the influence parties have on the House and electoral process, and should it be more or less? Explain your answer fully. I'm fine with the parties as they stand, we basically all agree on the same basic issues.

8. The House of Representatives is the sole legal body with the ability to remove a Prime Minister from office. Under what circumstances would you support the removal of one and what constitutes 'going too far'? Cite specific legal passages if necessary and ensure that your answer is sufficiently detailed. Sali loves the Union he would never, scoffs

Offline Battadia

• Justices
  • THE NEGOTIATOR!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 05:29:19 pm
I plan to create a Simple English Bill similar to the one proposed by Rachel Boyack in the New Zealand Parliament.

Given the imminence of a new Constitution, I do not feel that it would be wise to amend it at this time.

I have served in the House before, I have held governmental positions in multiple regions of the Union, and I have been appointed to three separate Cabinet offices.

Give the speaker muting privileges in the House channel by using the command ",order" No changes are needed.

I do not desire to become Speaker, and I do not know who the best candidate will be.

My constituents know that they can talk to me at any time, and I will ensure that I bring their concerns to the House.

As I have consistently said, I believe that there needs to be a shift in the platforms of the parties, as right now they must resort to identity politics and ad hominem attacks in order to be perceived by the populace as "different" due to their incredibly similar policy positions.

The Constitution has provisions for this, and if it came to this, I would ensure that the due process would be followed.
PARLIAMENTARIANISM FTW!

Offline taavetti

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 04:51:41 am
Non-Violence

At the moment, I do not have any Bills I would like to pass or repeal.

I can't think of any ways the Constitution should be amended currently.

I am the current Minister of Foreign Affairs in Prudentia and I have worked in the House previously, so I am experienced on the matter.

I can't think of any necessary changes to the House Procedures right now.

I am not planning on running for Speaker, and I can't think of any good candidates for the position.

I will maintain good relations and communications with the region I am representing in the House, and will be sure to mention any ideas from the citizens.

I don't mind the influence of political parties in the House at all. They're running to share their ideas with the House and that's fine for me.

If the Prime Minister were to cause amounts of harm and/or corruption in the Union, I would support their removal from the office.

Offline Gumeus

• -Anax of Prudentia
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 05:13:05 am
I do not have any plans for this

I don’t see any need for an amendmend

I serve as a leader of multiaple regions in the Union and i observed how the house functions and how it’s procedure works.

I do not think any changes are needed.

I don’t plan on running for speaker. I don’t know who would be a better candidate for this position.

Submit any and all proposals from them.

I feel that as long as there are parties, they will hold at least some influence on the house and electoral process. I have to admit i’m not a fan of any parties but they also helps the balance in force politics therefore i don’t have an opinion on this matter.

If the Prime Minister acts against the constitutional law I would support their impeachment.
-Anax of Prudentia

Offline Suter

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 05:30:55 pm
The current bills I would like to pass are not exactly decided but I do have some ideas. Firstly, I would like to pass a bill setting up an official Force calendar with the official recognized holidays in order to help the government for the holding of future events. Here in Force, we have some recognized holidays such as Founders Day and Cheese Day but they do not seem to do anything as everyone seems to forget them. With this official calendar, we could have some official recess time for the government around certain events such as in the time of the holidays.

We should focus on fixing the current loopholes in the Constitution, apart from that I do not see anything important.

I am one of the longest-serving house members and have been representing RGBN in the Union for more than a year. I've been Speaker of the House multiple times as well as being PM of Force and President of RGBN. I'm not the best at wrting bills but I have been the co-author of many legislations.

I think that once we get back a good amount of members in the House again, procedures will go more smoothly.

No.

I am always open to be contacted even if I sometimes might seem dead I'm actually still here. I tend to always answer my messages and if any person from RGBN would like to pass a bill. I will gladly present it to the House of Representatives. Though that does not mean I support it, I will at least insure the proposed bill will be seen by my colleagues as it is my duty for RGBN.

Parties are pretty much dead right now, they might have another renaissance in the future but as of right now I do not think they influence the House that much. Most House politics are decided by different factions which have developed independently from the parties. Though I do believe that even those factions do not hold too much power in the House.

I'll repeat what I said time and time again. I think that the Prime Minister should only be impeached when he is either going up directly against the will of the people in a striking manner or his administration is not able to conduct their job properly anymore. I do believe that the House of Representatives should have the right to start the impeachment procedures against the PM as they represent the people of the Union but only the people directly should be able to impeach him and decide of the fate of THEIR leader.

Offline West-Kronisia

• House Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 06:59:00 pm

None currently, seeking to adjust back to the House first.

Not at all, for same reason as the previous question.

Several previous terms, qualifying for obvious reasons.

Not currently, the system seems fine for now.

Not currently, highly depends on who else runs.

I offer an open door; they can contact me with their opinions any time.

Whilst parties do influence the house in terms of voting as generally parties vote the same way, people will always band together in some way, shape or form, and trying to change that is folly.

8. The House of Representatives is the sole legal body with the ability to remove a Prime Minister from office. Under what circumstances would you support the removal of one and what constitutes 'going too far'? Cite specific legal passages if necessary and ensure that your answer is sufficiently detailed

If the PM conducts any criminal act, or an act that is not criminal, but severely damages the reputation of the Union as a whole, they should be removed.

Offline Renegalle

• Founder
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 03:11:46 am
P Moon is disqualified for failing to answer the required questions within the allotted time period.