Force Regional Forum

Debate: House Elections, November 2019

Guest · 3 · 1860

Libertatis Regalis

on: November 22, 2019, 02:17:57 pm
Debate: House Elections, November 2019

Debate closes on November 26th at 4:30 AM EDT (time modified due to server outage).

Brief Overview

The Debate period is intended to be a time in which citizens can assess the competence of candidates running for office and make an informed decision in the voting period that follows. All citizens may ask questions to the candidates and while the candidates are not legally bound to answering these questions, it is highly encouraged. Candidates are however legally bound to answer all questions asked of them by the Founder.

Candidates for House of Representatives

Lotria
Carropia

Relevant Law

1. As a candidate, you are required to answer all questions asked to you by the Founder (Renegalle) during this Debate or you will be automatically disqualified (B.4.1).

Required: Founder's Questions for All House of Representatives Candidates

1. The House of Representatives is the sole legal body with the ability to remove a Prime Minister from office. Under what circumstances would you support the removal of one and what constitutes 'going too far'? Cite specific legal passages if necessary and ensure that your answer is sufficiently detailed.

2. What do you believe the House's primary function should be - as a body to prevent abuse of power by the Executive and uphold existing law or as one that should primarily focus on far-reaching reforms? Ensure that your response is detailed in a way so that your stance can be clearly ascertained.

3. If you were given the power to change any law - be it the Constitution, a House Bill, etc - which one would it be, what would you change about it, and why? Ensure that this is a detailed and sincere answer.

4. A particular House Bill gives the Speaker the power to modify House Bills presented by members of the House, before they are put up for vote. Which Bill is this and to what extent can modifications be made?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:52:24 pm by Renegalle »

Carropia

• Citizens
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 05:55:34 pm
Ah Heck I might be a little late I just got back from School.
1. I believe that we should take this on a case by case basis. I think that if there is clear discontent in not only the government, but also throughout Force there is reason to push forward an investigation and possibly impeachment. A few examples of cause for investigation would be as previously stated discontent in government as well as throughout Force, unacceptable behavior (racial slurs etc.), as seen in constitution failing to fulfill roles as Prime Minister.
2. I believe that the House is made for clear reform and primarily should be used to as such. However, to fulfill a system of checks and balances and generally restrict a powerful executive branch then it should still be able to do that. I think the judiciary branch is not well used and should handle most cases regarding abuse of power on the part of the executive branch (and the house as well).
3. Well one relatively recent part added to the constitution is Article L. It should be slightly amended to allow for House Representatives to be part of civil service operations. It allows for progress in ministries such as culture and communications ministries which desperately need active members. Other than that, I believe that most laws are fair as is most of the constitution. But I am open to fielding complaints to laws and the constitution.
4. That would be House Bill 8 I believe. I think that it only allows the speaker to make formatting corrections however. There be a slight error that allows for more power (in editing) to the House Speaker than was intended when written. When or if I get into office Ill present a possible amendment to the bill to the House.

Lotria

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 06:59:43 pm

1. The House of Representatives is the sole legal body with the ability to remove a Prime Minister from office. Under what circumstances would you support the removal of one and what constitutes 'going too far'? Cite specific legal passages if necessary and ensure that your answer is sufficiently detailed.

I would support the removal of a PM if they violate the Force constitution, Fail to fulfill their duty as a PM or if they are disorderly, such as swearing excessively at individuals, Discriminating against people, or using racial and or homophobic slurs against an individual. Going too far would include the things listed above, and also abusing his power and using it to influence others to do things.

2. What do you believe the House's primary function should be - as a body to prevent abuse of power by the Executive and uphold existing law or as one that should primarily focus on far-reaching reforms? Ensure that your response is detailed in a way so that your stance can be clearly ascertained.

I personally belive that the house should be a body to prevent abuse of power and uphold current law, aswell as introduce new bills and laws if necessary to ensure that force remains non-corrupt.

3. If you were given the power to change any law - be it the Constitution, a House Bill, etc - which one would it be, what would you change about it, and why? Ensure that this is a detailed and sincere answer.

I would not change any law. As it stands, the constitution is structured and solid with many things I agree with, and all house bills that have been passed I see as fair and justified.

4. A particular House Bill gives the Speaker the power to modify House Bills presented by members of the House, before they are put up for vote. Which Bill is this and to what extent can modifications be made?

It seems House Bill 8 is the one that allows the Speaker to modify bills submitted by house members. The Speaker can correct formatting errors and clear up anything which is unclear by asking the original submitter of the bill , as stated here "The Speaker shall be responsible for correcting format errors and posting the bills on the forum before holding a vote. If it is unclear what any section of the bill is attempting to say, the Speaker must act for clarification from the author of the bill."