Force Regional Forum

Special Prime Minister & House Debate, February 2020

Guest · 8 · 1456

Libertatis Regalis

Debate: Prime Minister & House Elections, February 2020

Candidacy Debate closes on March 4th at 10:00AM EST.

Brief Overview

The Debate period is intended to be a time in which citizens can assess the competence of candidates running for office and make an informed decision in the voting period that follows. All citizens may ask questions to the candidates and while the candidates are not legally bound to answering these questions, it is highly encouraged. Candidates are however legally bound to answer all questions asked of them by the Founder and Speaker.

Candidates for Prime Minister

Lashnakia
New Legland

Candidates for House of Representatives

Western Chosetus
qwertyuiopasdfghjklxcvbnm 1234567890-

Relevant Law

1. As a candidate, you are required to answer all questions asked to you by the Founder (Renegalle) and the Speaker of the House during this Debate or you will be automatically disqualified (ßB.4.1).

Required: Founder's Questions for All Prime Ministerial Candidates

1. What makes you the best candidate for Prime Minister? What do you bring to the office which your opponent does not and why do you think you are better positioned to succeed in whatever you undertake?

2. How do you plan to address inactivity? Please provide a specific plan that addresses every aspect of government and community.

3. Who would you appoint to your ideal Cabinet (ex-members, people who would be ineligible, and people not necessarily willing to serve can be included)? Why would you choose these people and what specific things would they bring to each office that you consider to be most important?

4. If elected (or re-elected), how do you plan (if at all) to change the structure of the existing Ministries? Would you consider abolishing, creating, or merging any of them? Why?

Required: Founder's Questions for Lashnakia

5. What has your biggest failure been in your previous term as PM? What caused it and how do you plan to avoid something similar from happening in future?

6. How do you plan, if re-elected, to pursue a more constructive working relationship with all areas of government?

Required: Founder's Questions for New Legland

5. What, in your opinion, has the incumbent done well that you plan to expand on if elected?

6. You have made a run for PM in the past and didn't take it seriously. If you win this election will you follow all Force law and not just joke around?

Required: Founder's Questions for All House of Representatives Candidates

1. Which House Bills do you plan to pass and/or repeal? Why?

2. In what ways should the Constitution be amended, if at all? Explain how the changes would improve the current system of governance.

3. What qualifies you to serve in the House? What makes this qualifying?

4. Do you think any changes should be made to existing House Procedures? If so, what changes should be made and why?

5. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens?

6. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 01:39:07 pm by Libertatis Regalis »

Lashnakia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 11:28:59 am
1. What makes you the best candidate for Prime Minister? What do you bring to the office which your opponent does not and why do you think you are better positioned to succeed in whatever you undertake?

I bring the fact that I have been PM and run a very active cabinet, which translated into regional activity. One of the problems that causes lack of regional activity is lack of government activity. I plan to address that with a far more hands on approach, as well as continuing the WelCom program and other things to engage new citizens, e.g RMB activity. I bring the fact that I have addressed this before and succeeded.

2. How do you plan to address inactivity? Please provide a specific plan that addresses every aspect of government and community.

I will go through each ministry and say what their place will be in helping this crisis.

Internal Affairs: IA will play a massive part in addressing inactivity. With the WelCom program already underway, the idea has a ton of potential, it just needs to be exercised by more people. If we exercise the idea with what we have at the moment, we will attract more people into Force, and with the right engagement, they will soon be helping too. We want the community to be involved here, not just the government.

Foreign Affairs: FA will play a part in moving forward with embassies with new, larger regions. If we open ourselves up to other regions, as people leave regions, we are a more prominent option for them to join. As well as that, in general having embassies with big regions and being professional with them will lead to more respect, more events, and more opportunities.

Communications:

Communications will continue actively working on the Force Flyer, but I expect them to release it and encourage people to actually read it, give opinions, either on the topics or the article itself. I want people to see The Force Flyer as a thing to discuss and give opinions on, rather than a simple formality every month. This will not only engage more if the community, as I will instruct the Comms Minister to carry this out, but hopefully intrigue and possibly convince them to get involved with Comms. Ultimately, more community engagement is what I want here.

Culture:

In terms of the Ministry of Culture, they tend to do a lot of events, which are good - thatís their job. The reason however they havenít turned out to be a huge topic of conversation, and not always attracting a ton of people (I will note the Force Union Games did rather well recently, more ideas like that will be good) is because of yet again, lack of engagement with the community regarding these things. I know this sounds too simple, but hear me out, because itís true. You could do amazing events, literally the most exciting events, but if you donít do anything but a few general announcements about it occasionally, it isnít going to go anywhere. This is why as well as working with the Ministry of Culture to forge new, eye catching events and ideas, I will be instructing and assisting them to talk about it, create discussion on the topic and actively encourage them to join, it doesnít need to be complex, it can be simple messages on the RMB or Discord. They just need to hear about it. It may sound simple, but it is a big deal.

Roleplay:

Now, I will admit this is not my expertise at all. Hence why we have an RP Committee and a Chair. We first need to actually get that committee active, as, aside from a few different votes, they barely talk on how to solve the issues of inactivity. This will be solved by a more hands on approach by myself and Sumeka, the Chair. It will also help by hiring new members who join the RP, as their opinion is vital. The RP needs to be advertised sensibly but effectively on the RMB and Discord, and answering any questions members may have, helping them in the signup and to answering questions about the map, as examples. There is no denying that RP is an active and crucial aspect of the region that needs to be constantly active, and internal problems within the RP need to be fixed. Resetting the RP again isnít an option and shouldnít be on the table to fix it. Everyone internally involved in RP needs to be discussing it, and engaging people to join. Yet again, simple, but highly important.

3. Who would you appoint to your ideal Cabinet (ex-members, people who would be ineligible, and people not necessarily willing to serve can be included)? Why would you choose these people and what specific things would they bring to each office that you consider to be most important?

I personally see little point in this question, as I am happy with the cabinet I have ready to appoint, I will just give the names of those:

Internal Affairs: Caduceo - They have clear ideas for what they want in the ministry, and have already started new programs which have a ton of potential. I have a lot of trust in them to carry out their duties and follow instructions effectively, and they always have a helpful input in cabinet.

Foreign Affairs: Willatrius - A new member to Force, not a new member to FA or NS in any way whatsoever. They have been a Foreign Affairs Minister multiple times and have been on the game for three years. A wealth of experience and new perspective in the cabinet will be a huge help, as well as someone adequately geared to deal with diplomacy.

Communications: Azerubia - Azerubia has done a stunning job so far in communications, they have proven themselves to be an effective writer and a good leader in their ministry, supplying excellent Force Flyerís so far, as well as getting a solid amount of people to write articles on time. Hopefully, with my plan above, there will be more in time.

Culture - Alemputo/Diabeetus - Both have a solid amount of skill in this area of government, and will be able to handle the ministry and carry out my plan. It just depends on whether Dia wins his House Race or not.

4. If elected (or re-elected), how do you plan (if at all) to change the structure of the existing Ministries? Would you consider abolishing, creating, or merging any of them? Why?

The only one I would consider merging is Communications and Culture to form a new ministry called media and events, as aside from writing articles, Comms doesnít have much else to do when they arenít releasing articles. Comms also requires creativity, which links into culture perfectly. However, I at least want the Cabinet and all ministries to be somewhat active before I go ahead with this.

5. What has your biggest failure been in your previous term as PM? What caused it and how do you plan to avoid something similar from happening in future?

To be perfectly honest, there wasnít a ton that went wrong in my last term. I will say that I made an error of judgement by initially allowing UNP into Heart as a visitor, as he ended causing chaos in that, and the conquest activity in power. I plan to consult extensively with my colleagues over it, as it was a rather rushed decision from myself. There was a few things I couldíve done in my term, I regret not engaging with XKI or Forest. My answer now? Do exactly those things.

6. How do you plan, if re-elected, to pursue a more constructive working relationship with all areas of government?

I am very good at forming constructive working relationships as I showed in my last term, and in terms as a Minister. I plan to take a more hands on approach and consult my colleagues on important actions, something you should be doing regardless. I plan to re-introduce substantial monthly progress reports and upcoming agendas, and pin them, and ensure they work by that agenda, also making the progress reports public, like I used to do.

diabeetuss

• Union Minister of Culture
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 11:59:54 am
Diabeetuss Questions for House Rep
I do not see any House bills I would like to repeal/pass as of right now.

2. In what ways should the Constitution be amended, if at all? Explain how the changes would improve the current system of governance.
I don't think the Constitution should be amended at all unless things aren't working out properly. it would change the current system of goverment because the government would be more about maintaining the things we already have instead of being all radical.

I have been a culture minister in Force for some time now, and a deputy of the minister of culture, and then i went back to being the minister of culture. In other areas outside of Force, I have some leadership experience in leading and moderating my own personal chat server as well as being a moderator in a server with over 100 people in it. This leadership experience makes me qualified because I had to devise some rules in order to lead these organizations of people, so I should have the qualifications for the job.

4. Do you think any changes should be made to existing House Procedures? If so, what changes should be made and why?
I do not think any changes to the house procedures are necessary.

5. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate? Why?
i do not plan to run for speaker.

6. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens?
All the citizens, including members of the House because democracy is cool and all the people of Force should have a right in impeaching because it is the best representation of what the community of Force wants as a whole.

7. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach?
I think the relationship between the Cabinet and the House is already adequate as of now, but I want to put in some codes of conduct that would say things like "debate is cool, but if the goal of the debate is to offend, discriminate and/or have a belittling attitude towards a person or a group, that would be not cool" because we've already had an instance where someone got emotionally hurt from a toxic person from a force political argument, and I want to make sure the chance that happens again is minimal.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:42:11 pm by diabeetuss »

Western Chosetus

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:16:45 pm
Bills should only pass if they have been clearly worded and has been thoroughly checked for loopholes.
Currently I do not have any bills I would like to repeal.

The constitution should only be amended to fix loopholes, repair non working sections, or to adjust existing positions to better fit the role they are supposed to fulfill.

In the past I have served as judge, and helped to write a number of bills in the past including iterations of the constitution.

I currently don't see anything wrong with current house procedures.

5. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens?
The power to impeach should stay in the house. However an option for the citizens isn't entirely out of the question but it would then need to be a 2/3 of those who voted rather than just 2/3 in general. The reason for this is because not everyone will vote and not everyone is active and that will likely make it nearly impossible to get a 2/3 majority.

6. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach?
I would of course try not to start anything serious with the cabinet myself and would where reasonable try to calm things down but some people just don't get along and there is not a whole lot you can really do about it.

Lashnakia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 03:57:10 pm
Western Chosetus:

Ď 1. Which House Bills do you plan to pass and/or repeal? Why?
Bills should only pass if they have been clearly worded and has been thoroughly checked for loopholes.í

The question was, what House Bills would you like to pass? Any ideas coming into office.

Lashnakia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 03:58:16 pm
Same question for Diabeetus - surely thereís something you intend to pass in the House?

Western Chosetus

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 05:42:49 pm
You're right I didn't really answer the question.  There's not any particular laws that I'm currently planning to try to pass, other than the one I've already posted in the appropriate section, but I'm always open to suggestions.

New Legland

• Citizens
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 08:14:53 pm

While we may have both served as Minister of Foreign Affairs, I was able to better organize the ministry through an index of our ambassadors, and a detailed foreign policy dispatch describing relationship requirements and our standings with other regions. Furthermore, the regions with which I established or developed relations during my tenure (Aukumnia, Thaecia, RWA, etc.) are much closer to us than the majority of our embassy regions. As a result of our more intimate friendships with these regions, Force was invited to large organizations like the Federal Union (its success isn't the focus here) and All Nations Against Liberals (its name isn't the focus here).

I believe that I am the best candidate because of my performance when I have held office, rather than how many of them I have held. I also believe that my different approaches to certain issues (which I will detail below) will be more effective in improving them, such as our activity and foreign affairs.

There's plenty that can be done to increase activity that I have in mind.

First, we can make an effort to appeal to those who are still only present onsite. Force boasts a population of nearly 190 nations, yet only the same handful or two of people interact with each other on Discord. To either attract more people offsite or to encourage more RMB activity, I propose more activities, primarily by the Culture Ministry, be held there. Caduceo is already doing a great job with his daily questions, but something organized by the government, such as occasional telegrams, polls, and perhaps even some RMB roleplay, would be more effective and far reaching.

Offsite, events like the talent show, art competition, and movie night worked wonders for boosting activity, and recent arguments on the Discord server have proven that the debate night channel, which has fallen by the wayside, has some potential. Channels that are themselves ongoing activities of sorts like the aforementioned debate channel, a polls channel, and even the flushed channel are good for long term engagement, and should be focused on more (under the Culture Ministry). Proper handling of our foreign affairs will likely result in Force being invited to interregional events or collaborations, which are usually done on a grander scale, can also be attractive even to those who rarely post on the Discord server.

Outside of those, promotion of roleplay, the WA, and possibly even the military (which I will discuss below) will help appeal a broader range of interests and improve participation in both the community in general and the government.

At the moment I see no changes to make to the Cabinet, possibly other than the appointment of Alemputo to the post of Minister of Culture should there be a lack of dedicated efforts to hold activities in that area. As I see it, all the current ministers are doing their jobs exceptionally, especially people like Caduceo with his ambitious projects like the WelCom and (what I assume is ongoing) Force University.

Other than those that I am about to mention, I do not plan on establishing, abolishing, or majorly changing any ministries.

Communications: I'd like to focus more on advertising the Communications Ministry's civil service openings as there are currently two writers for the Force Flyer and I'd hate to see them overworked and unable to pursue other projects elsewhere. Other than this, I'll work on encouraging people to upvote each new issue of the Force Flyer to make them more visible to the interregional community via the dispatches tab.

Roleplay: Given just how chaotic and how many fiascoes have unfolded in the Union RP, I believe some government intervention is in order. So to give roleplay more attention, I plan on either absorbing the RP committee into the Ministry of Culture, or reestablishing the Ministry of Roleplay to boost its activity further by giving it a bigger voice at the table to stay relevant.

World Assembly: Should the founder account ever cease to exist for whatever reason, we'll be left at the mercy of anyone eager enough to seize the delegacy. While I am still considering this, starting a WA Program or reestablishing the WA Ministry (only after the former, if ever) would be an excellent way to spur more activity onsite (and incidentally, on Discord), give us more influence in the WA, and protect us from the worst.

Foreign Affairs: What I have written above about the WA program will definitely help with attracting attention from the interregional community, but I also plan to change our approach to foreign relations altogether. For as long as I can remember, we've been focusing on amassing as many embassies as we can with the largest regions we can. In my opinion, this reduces embassies to little more than trophies to show off, and I would rather spend more time on deepening our existing relations, whether it be through events or revitalizing the military.

5. What, in your opinion, has the incumbent done well that you plan to expand on if elected?

Inactivity, both in government, and in the community, is something Lashnakia has done an exceptional job at reducing, and I will do everything in my power to fight it aggressively. As I have made abundantly clear, I also plan to continue focusing on our foreign policy, though I will do so differently than our incumbent is right now.

6. You have made a run for PM in the past and didn't take it seriously. If you win this election will you follow all Force law and not just joke around?

I've run for PM twice and only once did I do so ironically. Every time I've run for any office I've made it clear whether or not I intended to do so earnestly.  You have my word that I plan to see everything in this post through if I am elected Prime Minister.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:09:41 pm by New Legland »