Force Regional Forum

Debate: Prime Minister & House Elections, April 2020

Guest · 11 · 1566

Libertatis Regalis

Debate: Prime Minister & House Elections, April 2020

Debates close on April 8th at 6:00 PM EDT.

Brief Overview

The Debate period is intended to be a time in which citizens can assess the competence of candidates running for office and make an informed decision in the voting period that follows. All citizens may ask questions to the candidates and while the candidates are not legally bound to answering these questions, it is highly encouraged. Candidates are however legally bound to answer all questions asked of them by the Founder.

Candidates for Prime Minister
Salibaic (F)
New Legland (F)

Candidates for House of Representatives
Libertatis Regalis (F)
Lotria (F)
Lashnakia (F)
Western Chosetus (F)
Elysium (H)
A Place Where Furries Are (H)

Candidates for Court Justice
Tigslarlowducken (F)
The Caminoes (F)

Relevant Law

1. As a candidate, you are required to answer all questions asked to you by the Founder (Renegalle) and the Speaker of the House (Sir Libertatis Regalis) during this Debate or you will be automatically disqualified (ßB.4.1).

Required: Questions for All Prime Ministerial Candidates

1. What makes you the best candidate for Prime Minister? What do you bring to the office which your opponent does not and why do you think you are better positioned to succeed in whatever you undertake?

2. How do you plan to address inactivity? Please provide a specific plan that addresses every aspect of government and community.

3. Who would you appoint to your ideal Cabinet (ex-members, people who would be ineligible, and people not necessarily willing to serve can be included)? Why would you choose these people and what specific things would they bring to each office that you consider to be most important?

4. If elected (or re-elected), how do you plan (if at all) to change the structure of the existing Ministries? Would you consider abolishing, creating, or merging any of them? Why?

Required: Questions for All House of Representatives Candidates

1. Which House Bills do you plan to pass and/or repeal? Why?

2. In what ways should the Constitution be amended, if at all? Explain how the changes would improve the current system of governance.

3. What qualifies you to serve in the House? What makes this qualifying?

4. Do you think any changes should be made to existing House Procedures? If so, what changes should be made and why?

5. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate? Why?

6. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens?

7. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach?

Required: Questions for All Court Justice Candidates

1. The Justices are responsible for deciding the punishment for a person found guilty, following a trial. You are required to do this with the advice of the Jury. Keeping that in mind, how would you balance your own thoughts on how harsh a punishment should be with the Jury's recommendation?

2. The Justices are be responsible for determining whether any laws contradict the Constitution. With this power in mind, what method(s) would you use to come to a decision as to the legality of a law? If a law was not necessarily illegal, but went against the character of the Constitution, would you consider that fair grounds for it to be overturned?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:01:02 pm by Libertatis Regalis »

Libertatis Regalis

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 06:02:44 pm
1. Which House Bills do you plan to pass and/or repeal? Why? It depends on the needs of Force. It is hard to say what will need changed and for the reason.

2. In what ways should the Constitution be amended, if at all? Explain how the changes would improve the current system of governance. It should be and I am currently working on several new amendments.

3. What qualifies you to serve in the House? What makes this qualifying? I have served 3 terms in the House, some of which were the Houses most active. I also understand the Force Constitution, having helped write the document.

4. Do you think any changes should be made to existing House Procedures? If so, what changes should be made and why? Same as question 1, it would depend on the needs of the Region.

5. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate? Why? Yes. I was speaker during the 3 most active sessions and under my leadership, we can accomplish more.

6. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens? I think the language in the constitution should be changed but I would have to think more on it before acting.

7. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach? That would depend on the activity in the cabinet, in the past we have had some ministries become completely dormant. It would also depend on what the cabinet is trying to do, the House must remain independent from the other branches of government.

Lotria

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 06:06:10 pm

I plan to write and help pass bills to clear up grey areas in the constitution, as well as bills that will improve the overall well being of force. Including a bill that will
make it so that Connecting RP to Force politics ( IE: someone makes you mad in politics, you take it out on them in RP) to keep the seperation between the two.

2. In what ways should the Constitution be amended, if at all? Explain how the changes would improve the current system of governance.
We really just need to clear up grey areas and any contradictions, as well as make things in the constiuion less vauge. The last term I was in we worked on this, but its still not perfect.This would improve relations between House and Cabinet,
Because of the many arguments about Cabinet violating the constitution. Clearing up the constitution would also make it easier to for the Judge and Prosecuter, As they dont have to think if this violates that because it only half does, ETC.

I have served 2 successful terms in house and I have many ideas to bring to the table in the form of bills and amendments. I belive that this is quallifying as people now know who I am and what I stand for, aswell as the experience in the house before.
4. Do you think any changes should be made to existing House Procedures? If so, what changes should be made and why?
No.
5. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate? Why?
If i am elected, Depending on the other house members, I might run for speaker of the house. If I decide against running, Libertatis Regalis would be a very good candidate because of his experience and heavy knowledge of force and the constitution.

6. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens?
No, I do not think the impeachment system should change.

7. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach?

Communication is key. Through VC, Text , PM, Communication and a knowledge of one another would greathy improve the relationship so everyone is on the same page and generally friendly to eachother, making the working environment less stressfull. Especially when everyone is cooped up in their home.

Lashnakia

• Citizens
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 06:34:02 pm

I would like to have a second attempt at a line of succession to the Prime Minister, as well as working towards improving the constitution and adding in some new ideas, like Sali's FBN. It is not easy to give specifics when you have not even entered the House yet.

It certainly needs to be, at times the constitution is too ambiguous and hard to accurately define. It is hard to specify how but the House is and will continue to work on amendments, to help make a massive difference in defining the constitution when important cases or legal clashes arise.

HmmmmÖ. Heralding a rather successful cabinet in my first term as PM and showing good leadership and engagement through a difficult second term, as well as having an understanding of constitution.

For the moment no, but if change is required at any time it should be made, and I will works towards it if it is needed.

I do not plan to run for Speaker of the House, I will likely endorse the incumbent Speaker of the House, as they are the most experienced and qualified in the position.

I personally believe the House starting impeachment proceedings, voting and then handing over to the public would be a fair system. I will work towards that. I also believe the last impeachment proceedings proved that 'serious misconduct' needs to be better defined as to what is serious misconduct, or if the House should be the judges of that.

The House and the Cabinet should have a functional working relationship because they are the two branches of Government, therefore they must cooperate for the greater good of Force. Simple cooperation and rational discussion is how. It's not hugely difficult, we just need to work together.

Tigslarlowducken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 06:40:33 pm
Q. The Justices are responsible for deciding the punishment for a person found guilty, following a trial. You are required to do this with the advice of the Jury. Keeping that in mind, how would you balance your own thoughts on how harsh a punishment should be with the Jury's recommendation?
A. If there is a minor difference between the juryís decision and my own, I would probably just take the average of the two. For a major disagreement, I would follow a case-by-case basis, but probably go with the jury unless I have a reason not to.

Q. The Justices are be responsible for determining whether any laws contradict the Constitution. With this power in mind, what method(s) would you use to come to a decision as to the legality of a law? If a law was not necessarily illegal, but went against the character of the Constitution, would you consider that fair grounds for it to be overturned?
A. Any law going against the intention of the Constitution can be overturned depending on to what extent it bends the rules. Much of what I would do as justice depends on the specifics of the case.
You are now breathing manually

Sir Salibaic

• Union Prime Minister
  • Epic Hoot
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 08:28:01 pm
1. What makes you the best candidate for Prime Minister? What do you bring to the office which your opponent does not and why do you think you are better positioned to succeed in whatever you undertake?

Why am I the best candidate? Well, I am here to keep our union strong. I have the experience as a former Prime Minister and House Representative, as well as the revival Heart of which I played a key role in doing. I bring to the table the experience to get stuff done and I know that my opponent New Legland will bring up my last PM term but with my work in Heart showing that through hard work and putting in place infrastructure to get activity works. They also may bring up my past as a "progressive" of this region and that I have become a moderate establishment. The truth even though I have made peace and attempted to not let our differences get in the way of working together that I will not give up on my agenda of making progress and changing our region for the better and making sure we continue to make our Union the best place it possibly can be. If I am to be elected I personally feel I would be better suited to succeed as I have the skills needed to negotiate with the house to pass my agenda and make this Union something we are all proud of. I also have my wonderful running mate Caduceo who will help me as well my future cabinet if elected to reform our executive branch into being more transparent and active.

2. How do you plan to address inactivity? Please provide a specific plan that addresses every aspect of government and community.

I plan to address it by making our civil service much more organised and functional as well expanding events programs, and making sure our current institutions are active before we expand and stretch ourselves.

My first step is to make ministries viewable to all citizens, followed by introducing a structure to each ministry with the help of each ministry's corresponding minister. This structure shall rank civil servants and give official job titles and work to do inside each ministry. We will then look towards introducing rewards for working in the civil service and inside government as a way to encourage sustained work and activity. This can be done in many ways of which no set solution is set in stone just yet. We can do this either through bought rewards or via a bot.

We will expand events obviously and advertise them a lot more. We will attempt to do more on site events using fact books created by nations. An example would be a nation history writing competition which would also help tie into Roleplay as it will encourage more people to explore their creative mind and help nations to explain their nations existence. Anyway, I will also work towards more interactive events rather than just competitions, some people have suggested to me things such as movie nights and game nights. This I believe the more interaction events will help members connect and build budding friendships which will help create activity as more people will want to spend time talking on our servers and participating in our region whether it be the civil service or Roleplay.

I will work with the Roleplay committee in order to help the continued revival of it started by me. I plan to continue it's rapid registration program and get as many people registered as soon as possible in order to make sure that nations have a chance to join before they feel they have waited too long and cease to exist. I will also work to rework the UN in order to make it functional and active inside the Roleplay. I shall also work as mentioned above to try and get more nations to delve into their lore and create a more indepth experience inside the roleplay.

I shall continue the with Caduceo's process of updating all the master factbooks in order to make them user friendly and help get people better experience upon joining our region as well as making it have better access to government documents and applications to the civil service.

I will hopefully help the house to introduce proper press releases when bills are passed, or government announcements are released, or when new policies are made. This is in order to help connect the citizenry of the Union and our government to help encourage transparency and activity. I shall also work to create proper format and release more public official documents such as releasing copies of our telegrams we send to new nations or even ones we use to encourage joining the World Assembly in order to create transparency.

3. Who would you appoint to your ideal Cabinet (ex-members, people who would be ineligible, and people not necessarily willing to serve can be included)? Why would you choose these people and what specific things would they bring to each office that you consider to be most important?

I will only be slightly changing the cabinet with most ministers staying in place.

Foreign Affairs - Sumeka shall replace Lashnakia following his departure to the House of Representatives. This is because I believe with myself and Lashnakia mentoring Sumeka he can do well in this job. He is charismatic and I believe a fresh face representing the Force will benefit us greatly.

Internal Affairs and Deputy Prime Minister - Caduceo shall be staying in his slot as Minister of Internal Affairs with his great success as the current office holder and as he is also my running mate, if I am to be elected he is to be my number 2. I believe this is the best person to fill this job as I put my full faith in him.

Culture - Loomburg shall be replacing Alemputo as Minister of Culture. My choice for this is that I believe Loomburg can perform better in this role and that he has a very creative mind to help come up with new ideas and create events which will help bolster activity.

Communications -  Azerubia shall be staying in their position as Minister of Communications as they are one out best ever ministers and I have been glad that he has produced lots of great work and I will hope he can continue the good work he has been doing.

Roleplay Chair - Alemputo shall be put in charge of Roleplay once again following his great successes at it last time. I believe he has the management skills and the creativity to perform his tasks to the best of his abilities.

4. If elected (or re-elected), how do you plan (if at all) to change the structure of the existing Ministries? Would you consider abolishing, creating, or merging any of them? Why?

I think from my answers above that I have addressed this issue. However I plan on closing the WA Committee and giving its role to internal affairs until such time we have more people to manage a new committee or Ministry.

Monsieur Horseman

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 02:18:30 am
1. The Justices are responsible for deciding the punishment for a person found guilty, following a trial. You are required to do this with the advice of the Jury. Keeping that in mind, how would you balance your own thoughts on how harsh a punishment should be with the Jury's recommendation?

Answer:

Democracy for me has always been a flawed concept, the idea of having a group of people who may or may not be knowledgeable, or who may or may not have prejudices in a room that decides of a person's accountability is insane..

But in the end, that is what we deem as somewhat "fair", and personally that is acceptable, I believe in a fair trial and one that involves the citizens in the upholding of the constitution is not so much of a bad idea.

I think this particular role in the justice system could be more viewed as a leadership role and as any good leader would do they would make sure that everyone in their group is heard, that every suggestion is acknowledged, and that in the end that good leader, must choose the best suggestion to rise up or in this case decide on what is right, which is to uphold the law.

The jury will not always be a group that is on the right side of the track in some scenarios, but I will make sure that their voices are to be heard anyway, while at the same time following the rules, not breaking them..or heck not even bending them, but acting in a manner that is justifiable in the court room and as a good person of this region.

2. The Justices are to be responsible for determining whether any laws contradict the Constitution. With this power in mind, what method(s) would you use to come to a decision as to the legality of a law? If a law was not necessarily illegal, but went against the character of the Constitution, would you consider that fair grounds for it to be overturned?

Answer:

Sure thing of course! then overturn it, I believe in the integrity of the constitution and anyone who is to be seated at this position has obviously a very essential part to play which is to reinforce the law.

Now the constitution isn't always in some cases necessarily perfect and thats okay, and it speaks true, as it is only made by beings that represent the very aspects of imperfection, but that doesnt mean that I should make it worse or more imperfect than it is, I personally would work with that thought in mind, that its never gonna be pure, and its never gonna be perfect, and that its just like a person, a human being.

And with that if it has the characteristics of a person then it has the characteristic of change, as a great person once said "Human beings are strong because we have the ability to change ourselves"

and as I who has the opportunity to work in the justice system I would employ that philosophy in my work, working simply as a human being, in a humanly court, with a justice system that could be worse and that could be better, and carrying the thought that that is okay, but also carrying the thought that one has the ability to make it better..and therefore overturn for the better..

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:51:38 am by Monsieur Horseman »

glacieri

• Union House Speaker
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 02:28:32 pm
Required: Questions for All House of Representatives Candidates

I don't have any particular bills which should be passed, however I will continue to work to make Force a more roleplay friendly union.

The constitution should always be monitored for flaws.  Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited.

I am the former Prime Minister of Heart, Force, and a member of the Roleplay Committee. I will bring in my experience to further expand roleplay in Force.

I think all house members should be active in the very least.

No, I do not plan to run for speaker.

No, it is one of the few powers which are given to the house, and the House members are elected by the people.

I, by a technicality, am best fit for this position if Salibaic is Elected, because I will be a part of the House and a part of the Roleplay Committee. This is the closest position to the cabinet legal whilst still being in the cabinet, so I am best suited to work with the Cabinet and the House at the same time.

New Legland

• Citizens
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 05:53:33 pm
Since none of the questions have been changed since last election (and likewise, neither have the state of Force or my views to a great extent), most of the material in answers 2 - 4 is reused from my previous debate answers, since I see no reason to restate a message I have already given any differently.

While my opponent has held a few more offices than I have, here and in Heart, I donít believe that should detract from my time in Foreign Affairs. I was able to better organize the ministry through an index of our ambassadors, and a detailed foreign policy dispatch describing relationship requirements and our standings with other regions. Furthermore, the regions with which I established or developed relations during my tenure (Aukumnia, Thaecia, RWA, etc.) are much closer to us than the majority of our embassy regions. As a result of our more intimate friendships with these regions, Force was invited to large organizations like the Federal Union (its success isn't the focus here) and All Nations Against Liberals (its name isn't the focus here). Iím not denying that Salibaic has worked wonders in Heart, but I see no reason to decry my work as unworthy of the Prime Ministry.

This is not an attack to his character, but between my opponent and I, I can say quite confidently that one of us has had a history more rife with controversy than the other. Whether it be through causing Libertatis to briefly leave the region through deceit just over a year ago, being at the center of out-of-control arguments like that causing #halls-of-government to be closed and purged, or repeatedly threatening to (and following through with) leaving the Discord server, Salibaic has had a rockier past than most. If elected, Iíll act professionally and with restraint, as a fit head of government should.

I believe that I am the best candidate because of my performance when I have held office, rather than how many of them I have held, as well as my clean history. I also believe that my different approaches to certain issues (which I will detail below) will be more effective in improving them, such as our activity and foreign affairs.

There's plenty that can be done to increase activity that I have in mind.

First, we can make an effort to appeal to those who are still only present onsite. Force boasts a population of nearly 190 nations, yet only the same handful or two of people interact with each other on Discord. To either attract more people offsite or to encourage more RMB activity, I propose more activities, primarily by the Culture Ministry, be held there. Caduceo is already doing a great job with his daily questions and greetings, but something organized by the government, such as occasional telegrams, polls, and perhaps even some RMB roleplay, would be more effective and far reaching.

Offsite, events like the talent show, art competition, and movie night worked wonders for boosting activity, and recent arguments on the Discord server have proven that the debate night channel, which has fallen by the wayside, has some potential. Channels that are themselves ongoing activities of sorts like the aforementioned debate channel, a polling channel, and even the late flushed channel are good for long term engagement, and should be focused on more (under the Culture Ministry). Proper handling of our foreign affairs will likely result in Force being invited to interregional events or collaborations, which are usually done on a grander scale, can also be attractive even to those who rarely post on the Discord server.

Outside of those, promotion of roleplay, the WA, and possibly even the military (which I will discuss below) will help appeal a broader range of interests and improve participation in both the community in general and the government.

At the moment I see no changes to make to the Cabinet. All of the current ministers are performing their duties well, and in the case of people like Azerubia and Caduceo, going above and beyond their job descriptions with the formerís Union Weekly Recap and the latterís work on the RMB, informational dispatches, and Forceís forum thread.

Other than those that I am about to mention, I do not plan on establishing, abolishing, or majorly changing any ministries.

Foreign Affairs: What I have written above about the WA program will definitely help with attracting attention from the interregional community, but I also plan to change our approach to foreign relations altogether. For as long as I can remember, we've been focusing on amassing as many embassies as we can with the largest regions we can. In my opinion, this reduces embassies to little more than trophies to show off, and I would rather spend more time on deepening our existing relations, whether it be through events,revitalizing the military, or treaties/alliances like (but more formal and multi-purpose than) All Nations Against Liberals.

Communications: I'd like to focus more on advertising the Communications Ministry's civil service openings as there are currently two writers for the Force Flyer other than the founder and I'd hate to see them overworked and unable to pursue other projects elsewhere. Other than this, I'll work on encouraging people to upvote each new issue of the Force Flyer to make them more visible to the interregional community via the dispatches tab.

World Assembly: Should the founder account ever cease to exist for whatever reason, we'll be left at the mercy of anyone eager enough to seize the delegacy. While I am still considering this, starting a WA Program or reestablishing the WA Ministry (only after the former, if ever) would be an excellent way to spur more activity onsite (and incidentally, on Discord), give us more influence in the WA, and protect us from the worst.

Once I enter office, however, Iíll dissolve the current WA Committee, as in my eyes, we donít yet have enough activity to divert into more and more ministries. This is one of my more major undertakings, and only establishing it at the right time will ensure it doesnít fail as much as it currently is.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:16:15 pm by New Legland »

Empire of Elysium

• Union House Speaker
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 01:58:50 pm
1. Which House Bills do you plan to pass and/or repeal? Why? I would like to work on reforming Force to give individual regions more say in politics. As well as bills to possibly keep the cabinet active (ie. adding new tasks similar to how MoComm. has to write the Force Flyer)

2. In what ways should the Constitution be amended, if at all? Explain how the changes would improve the current system of governance. I think as the constitution is, is fine. Although as Force grows, new situations are presented, and the region itself changes there will likely be amendments needed. To conclude as of now I donít see any amendments, but it might not stay that way for long.

3. What qualifies you to serve in the House? What makes this qualifying? I have severed 1 term in the house so far, and was a extremely useful Minister in the past.

4. Do you think any changes should be made to existing House Procedures? If so, what changes should be made and why? No, I think the current way the house operates is fine.

5. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate? Why? I donít wish to be speaker.

6. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens? I think that the house should have to start a vote to impeach, and if it passes the house the citizens approve it.

7. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach?  I think the House should work with PM, and their Cabinet, in order to better the region. Co-operation between the two regions will be better than working against each other.
I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are not forgotten.

Western Chosetus

Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 04:31:12 pm
Bills should only pass if they have been clearly worded and has been thoroughly checked for loopholes.
Currently I do not have any bills I would like pass or repeal.

The constitution should only be amended to fix loopholes, repair non working sections, or to adjust existing positions to better fit the role they are supposed to fulfill.

In the past I have served as judge, helped to write a number of bills in the past including iterations of the constitution, and served in the house.

I currently don't see anything wrong with current house procedures.

I do not plan to run for speaker.

The power to impeach should stay in the house. However an option for the citizens isn't entirely out of the question but it would then need to be a 2/3 of those who voted rather than just 2/3 in general. The reason for this is because not everyone will vote and not everyone is active and that will likely make it nearly impossible to get a 2/3 majority.

I would of course try not to start anything serious with the cabinet myself and would where reasonable try to calm things down but some people just don't get along and there is not a whole lot you can really do about it.