Special House and Court Elections: Debate

Lashnakia

• Citizens
    • View Profile
on: May 11, 2020, 05:39:52 pm
Debate: Special House and Court Elections, May 2020

Debate closes on 14th May 2020, 6PM EST

Brief Overview

The Debate period is intended to be a time in which citizens can assess the competence of candidates running for office and make an informed decision in the voting period that follows. All citizens may ask questions to the candidates and while the candidates are not legally bound to answering these questions, it is highly encouraged. Candidates are however legally bound to answer all questions asked of them by the Founder.

Candidates for the House of Representatives
Silvedania (F) - DPP
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm 1234567890- (F) - DPP
EGM (F) - FUP
Candidates for Court Justice
Tigarslowducken (F) - FUP

Relevant Law
1. As a candidate, you are required to answer all questions asked to you by the Founder (Renegalle) and the Speaker of the House (Sir Lashnakia) during this Debate or you will be automatically disqualified (§B.4.1).

Required: Questions for All House of Representatives Candidates
1. Which House Bills do you plan to pass and/or repeal? Why?
2.  What qualifies you to serve in the House? What makes this qualifying?
3. Why have you chosen to run for the House of Representatives? What impact do you think you will have?
4. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate? Why?
5. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens, or do you support the recently passed amendment sending it through the House to the Court?
6. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach?
7. Should the House have more power, less, or should it stay the same? Why?
8. Do you believe the process for amending the constitution should be changed, and why so?

Required: Questions for All Court Justice Candidates
1. The Justices are responsible for deciding the punishment for a person found guilty, following a trial. You are required to do this with the advice of the Jury. Keeping that in mind, how would you balance your own thoughts on how harsh a punishment should be with the Jury's recommendation?
2. The Justices are be responsible for determining whether any laws contradict the Constitution. With this power in mind, what method(s) would you use to come to a decision as to the legality of a law? If a law was not necessarily illegal, but went against the character of the Constitution, would you consider that fair grounds for it to be overturned?
3. Do you believe it is more important to take your time when deciding the verdict for a case, even if it means the guilty party goes longer without punishment, or do you believe it is more important to quickly decide on a verdict, even if it means the punishment may not be as suitable as otherwise? What factors would tilt this more in favor of one or the other?
4. You are the only candidate for your position in this Election. Why should voters trust you to uphold the rule of law when no other candidate with better or worse qualifications is challenging you?
5. Similarly to Q2, if a case was brought to the court against someone who had not necessarily done something that was illegal, but went against the character of the Constitution, would you consider that fair grounds for the case to be considered?

I should note that while these debate questions must be answered, any citizen may ask a question, but it is not constitutionally required for a candidate to answer a question not posed by the Founder or Speaker.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:56:16 pm by Renegalle »

Tigslarlowducken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 05:48:00 pm
Q. The Justices are responsible for deciding the punishment for a person found guilty, following a trial. You are required to do this with the advice of the Jury. Keeping that in mind, how would you balance your own thoughts on how harsh a punishment should be with the Jury's recommendation?
A. If there is a minor difference between the jury’s decision and my own, I would probably just take the average of the two. For a major disagreement, I would follow a case-by-case basis, but would probably go with the jury unless I have a reason not to.

Q. The Justices are be responsible for determining whether any laws contradict the Constitution. With this power in mind, what method(s) would you use to come to a decision as to the legality of a law? If a law was not necessarily illegal, but went against the character of the Constitution, would you consider that fair grounds for it to be overturned?
A. Any law going against the intention of the Constitution can be overturned depending on to what extent it bends the rules. Much of what I would do as justice depends on the specifics of the case.

Q. Do you believe it is more important to take your time when deciding the verdict for a case, even if it means the guilty party goes longer without punishment, or do you believe it is more important to quickly decide on a verdict, even if it means the punishment may not be as suitable as otherwise? What factors would tilt this more in favor of one or the other?
A. Take the recent Libertatis Incident. Once doxxing was found, it was imperative to remove his permissions as soon as possible. In this case, a ruling would need to be found fast. In others, thoroughness is preferrable.

Q. You are the only candidate for your position in this Election. Why should voters trust you to uphold the rule of law when no other candidate with better or worse qualifications is challenging you?
A. I can't do much worse than Libertatis. /s

Q. Similarly to Q2, if a case was brought to the court against someone who had not necessarily done something that was illegal, but went against the character of the Constitution, would you consider that fair grounds for the case to be considered?
A. No. An action going against the intent of the constitution is not the same as going against the Constitution itself. I would consider overturning laws against the intent, however, because laws absolutely must be obeyed, as opposed to less strict unsaid guidelines.
You are now breathing manually

Silvedania

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 06:15:02 pm
My agenda is based on the security of members of the union. as well as inclusion. Recently it was revealed that certain nations were behaving inappropriately and harassing others. I would like to pass a law to make it easier to report other nations, to prevent this. We could make a report section on the forum to make it easier to tell moderators of any rule violations.
2.  What qualifies you to serve in the House? What makes this qualifying? I am part of the foreign affairs ministry. This is qualifying, as it shows that I have experience to serve as a devoted member of the House.
3. Why have you chosen to run for the House of Representatives? What impact do you think you will have? I would like to represent some of the newer nations in Force. The community has had an influx of new nations, some of which,(I speak from my own experience(and my brother's))can feel quite confused when they first join. I hope to help represent these nations.
4. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position, and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate? Why? I do not at the moment wish to run for speaker.
5. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens, or do you support the recently passed amendment sending it through the House to the Court? Impeachment power should be given to the citizens of Force; House, Senate, and everyone else combined.
6. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach? The House and Cabinet should definitely try to establish better relations. We might be able to accomplish this by having a representative of the House in the Cabinet, and vice versa.
7. Should the House have more power, less, or should it stay the same? Why? I think the House has enough power. It can pass laws and lots more!
8. Do you believe the process for amending the constitution should be changed, and why so? I think we should stick to the original system, as it has worked to make the Constitution better.

Thank you for having me, I hope I win your vote!
The Republic of

Silvedania

diabeetuss

• Union Minister of Culture
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:15:39 pm
I don't really see any House bill that I would like to pass/repeal at the moment.
In Force, I have served as the Minister of Culture twice technically, the Deputy Minister of Culture, and a House Rep for a short amount of time. In other areas, I used to be an admin of a server with over 100 people. I also lead two servers of my own with less people. I got that leadership experience.
3. Why have you chosen to run for the House of Representatives? What impact do you think you will have?
Being in the House is fun and epic! I could probably propose some new laws and amendments here and there that would decrease toxicity in Force and eliminate corruption (if possible) I think I will have a fair impact on the House.
4. If elected, do you plan on running for Speaker? If so, what makes you a good candidate for this position and if not, who do you think would be a better candidate? Why?
I am not planning on running for Speaker of the House.
5. Do you think the way in which impeachment works should change? Should the power to impeach rest with the House or should it perhaps be given directly to the citizens, or do you support the recently passed amendment sending it through the House to the Court?
I support impeachment by the citizens because its more representative of what the people of Force want, and it allows for less corruption when making that choice.
6. How do you plan to facilitate a better working relationship between the House and Cabinet? Why do you think this is the best approach?
I think the relationship between the House and the Cabinet is pretty good as of now. Maybe we can instigate a code of conduct for members of the government so that there can be less toxiciity in the future.
It should stay the same. I'm that epic conservative guy.
8. Do you believe the process for amending the constitution should be changed, and why so?
No, I think the process is functional and fine.

EGM

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:07:45 pm
Currently there are none that I would like to pass and/or repeal. Once I've fully understood the system I may have more to say.
Although I'm a new member to NS and to Force, I'm keen to learn and improve the system wherever necessary. I'm diligent and devoted to whatever I'm doing and will work hard in this role. 
I've decided to run because I would like to get more involved in Force. I think I will be able to bring some fresh ideas. Also as a new member I can inspire other newer members to take action and get involved .
I don't plan on running for Speaker of the House.
I think impeachment should be primarily the citizen's decision, and there should be a system in place to present these kind of cases to the public in order for a just and balanced case. This would avoid any corruption within the government.
Currently I am unaware of the working relationship between them. As a member of the House I would be able to explore ways of improving it if necessary.
I think the House currently has a good amount of power and influence.
I think the process is fine (currently)
(I may have used the word currently a few too many times but nvm)